1. Welcome to the blog, Katie. Tell us a little about yourself, and about WHAT ENDURES.
Thanks for having me! “What Endures” is not your typical romance. It’s a great story about what real love is, what it can survive and withstand. Plot-wise, it’s about two people – Jason and Megan – who fell in love as teenagers. But they ended up breaking up and then reconnecting years later. And as they are about to get married, Jason ends up in a terrible car accident that robs him of most of his memories. So now he and Megan have the daunting task of rebuilding their lives.
2.How did you come up with the idea for this book? What kinds of things inspired you?
All kinds of things inspire me. Other books. TV commercials. Food.Things I see as I’m commuting to work. For this particular book, it was a show about Alzheimer’s. I remember being so moved by the stories about how that love connection between two people remain, even as one of them is losing their grip on reality and their memories are fading. I started wondering if that could be true in a couple that was younger, and obviously because Alzheimer’s doesn’t afflict those in their 20’s, I had to give one of them amnesia.
3. Tell us something no one else knows about the book—a ‘behind the scenes’ moment.
I like small baseball fields in parks. They’re great places to think and meditate (as long as no one is playing a game). Jason needed a high profile career. He was originally an NBA player but I wanted to change that and remembering how much I like those little baseball fields, he became an MLB player and the field where he meets Megan became a pivotal part of the plot.
4. If you could go anywhere with your main character, where would it be? What would you do?
Well, assuming Megan’s okay with it (LOL) – I’d take Jason on a trip to Europe. I think that boy can use some culture. He’s that all-American boy and they are yummy – don’t get me wrong – but I think some world culture would be good for him. We’d start in Switzerland and ski (we could both learn), then make our way to Italy where we’d eat, eat, eat and then to France where he could reunite with Megan for a romantic rendez-vous.
5. What are five things most readers don’t know about you?
(1) I have zero hand-eye coordination. Playing any sport that requires this often results in me getting hurt.
(2) I’m fluent in American Sign Language
(3) I was born in Vietnam
(4) I love cooking and most of my books contain some kind of food reference
(5) Speaking of food – my favorite cuisine is French – but I can’t cook it!
6. Pantser or plotter?
7. Favorite junk food?
8. Camping or hotel with room service?
Hotel with room service. My three camping experiences have all been magnificent disasters. I can take a hint. J
9. What’s next for you?
More books to be published and I’m always writing. I’m trying to finish up a three book series about the wackiness of Hollywood.
10. Anything else you want readers to know about “What Endures”?
It can be purchased on August 1, 2013 –
Thanks, Katie! You can find out more about Katie at the following places:
Twitter – @KatieLeeAuthor